Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Lettuce From The Greenhouse

I've been boasting to my friends about our winter lettuce crop so I'm posting a photo below as proof. I am also posting this especially to boast to my brother Chris and his wife Connie who live in Arkansas to point out that they're not the only ones with seeds in the ground already!




We planted some of last year's leftover lettuce mix seeds in Vermont Compost Company's Fort Vee - All Purpose Compost Based Potting Mix a couple of weeks ago and set them under grow lights in the sunny space of our heated "greenhouse" space in the shop.  These luscious baby greens are a true harbinger of spring.
Having the greenhouse space coupled with the high tunnel should allow us the opportunity to grow greens all year round. While we didn't plant enough in the greenhouse for sale at this time, we will have greens for sale at the Farmer's Market when it opens Memorial Day weekend. And, as always, you may contact us directly if you'd like us to grow greens - or other vegetables - especially for you.

Rural Thursday Blog Hop: http://www.aruraljournal.com

5 comments:

Evelyn S. said...

I'm not a gardener...I plant plants and bulbs for flowers, but that's it. My husband has tomato plants, but that's it. I do admire you "green growers."

Nancy said...

Excellent! Amazed how fast it grows. :)

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

Wow, those look great! So glad you linked up with Rural Thursday today :-)

Clint Baker said...

What a very enjoyable blog! Please come visit sometime!
http://theredeemedgardener.blogspot.com/2012/03/march-garden-to-do-list.html

Anonymous said...

That looks like salad's for supper tonight!