Saturday, August 8, 2020

One Misty, Moisty Morning*


It's one of those murky late summer mornings when the air, though cool, is thick. Last evening's rain was welcomed by the growing ones in the gardens and fields and by the two who sat watching from the back porch.  

Fog this morning gave way to drizzle, providing the perfect opportunity to weed and thin recent outdoor plantings of late beets and carrots.
How long until we harvest sweet corn?

We had time to finish yet another produce-heavy dinner on the porch before the rains came. A tip of the hat to sister-in-law Johanna Eurich who sent this recipe from Alaska.

Pasta With Tomato, Almonds and Anchovies

Combine 1/2 cup roasted almonds, 6 anchovies (I used anchovy paste from a tube, a squeeze of about 5 inches), and 3 cloves of garlic (I used about 6 because we love garlic) in a food processor and process until finely chopped. Cook an appropriate amount of pasta for your own needs. (I used whole wheat linguine.) Drain well , then toss in a large bowl with the almond mixture, a bunch of chopped ripe tomatoes (I used about 5 large heirloom tomatoes and peeled them first), 1 cup grated Parmesan, about 3 Tb. olive oil and a handful of chopped basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. (Serves 2 generously with leftover sauce)

Of course, I made one addition. I have lots of zucchini these days and shredded two and sautéed them in a bit of olive oil until they released their moisture and added that when I tossed it all together.

*From Mother Goose

One misty, moisty morning,
When cloudy was the weather,
I chanced to meet an old man clothed all in leather.
He began to compliment, and I began to grin,
How do you do, and how do you do?
And how do you do again?

2 comments:

Audrey said...

That has always been one of my favorite rhymes since I was wee. I still say the first line all the time. So often I hear my boys day it too.

Louise said...

The rhyme is from Mother Goose, all based on the old ballad The Wiltshire Wedding. Here are the lyrics as sung on Steeleye Span in 1972 (on Parcel of Rogues):
One misty moisty morning when cloudy was the weather,
I met with an old man a-clothèd all in leather,
He was clothèd all in leather with a cap beneath his chin,
Singing, “How do you do and how do you do and how do you do again.”

This rustic was a thresher as on his way he hied,
And with a leather parcel fast buckled by his side.
He wore no shirt upon his back but wool unto his skin,
Singing, “How do you do and how do you do and how do you do again.”

I went a little further and there I met a maid,
“What are you doing? Milking?", "A-milking, sir,” she said.
Then I began to compliment and she began to sing,
Saying, “How do you do and how do you do and how do you do again.”

This maid, her name was Dolly, clothed in a gown of grey,
I, being somewhat jolly, persuaded her to stay.
And straight I fell a-courting her in hopes her love to win,
Singing, “How do you do and how do you do and how do you do again.”

I having time and leisure, I spent a vacant hour,
A-telling of my treasure while sitting in the bower.
With many kind embraces I stroked her double chin,
Singing, “How do you do and how do you do and how do you do again.”

I said that I would married be and she would be my bride,
And along we should not tarry and twenty things beside.
I'll plough and sow and reap and mow and you shall sit and spin,
Singing, “How do you do and how do you do and how do you do again.”

Her parents then consented, all parties were agreed,
Her portion thirty shillings, we married were with speed.
Then Will the Piper he did play whilst others dance and sing,
Saying, “How do you do and how do you do and how do you do again.”

Then lusty Ralph and Robin with many damsels gay
Did ride on Roan and Dobbin to celebrate the day.
And when they met together their caps they off did fling,
Singing, “How do you do and how do you do and how do you do and how do you do again.”